MacIntosh

It is possible that a few long term members of Holy Trinity will have childhood memories of one of our former pastors, Rev. Aden B. MacIntosh, D.D., who served from 1921 to 1940. Here are a few snapshots from that period.

Dr. MacIntosh was a native of Ontario, Canada, and became a citizen of the United States when his parents moved to St. Paul, Minnesota in 1883. Following graduation from Thiel College and completion of theological training at Mount Airy Seminary, he served congregations in Spring City, Bethlehem and Norristown. During World War I he held the post of Headquarters Chaplain for the Sixth Army Corps. In 1919 he received the Doctor of Divinity degree from Muhlenberg College.

On February 1, 1921 Dr, MacIntosh began his pastoral work In Lancaster. He and his wife took up temporary lodging in the Stevens House as the 1853 parsonage beside the chapel was in dire need of renovation. Vestry was urged to provide a modern home, but during the nearly twenty years that Dr. MacIntosh was our pastor, a new parsonage was not provided, and the MacIntosh family lived in a home of their own.

Two months after Dr. MacIntosh began his tenure, he suggested a weekly bulletin for Sunday services, and that has remained our practice ever since. In 1922 – 23 the sanctuary saw a restoration effort plus a new organ made by Casavant Freres of Hyacinthe, Canada. The new organ, contained in the old case, cost $25,100 and was funded by Misses Emily E and Annie M. Sprecher as a memorial to their parents. On a Saturday night in 1924, the celebrated French organist Marcel Dupre gave a recital on the new Casavant organ.

Dupré

Organist Marcel Dupre

The year 1924 saw a radical change in the mode of administering Holy Communion. A vote by members favored the individual cup over the common chalice. Also about this time there was established a Men’s Bible Class with Dr. MacIntosh as teacher. So successful and popular was the class that the editor of The Trinity Lutheran commented “We are pleased to have a men’s organization that is in no way behind our active wide awake Women’s societies.”

A new brick building was added to Trinity’s Complex in 1928, and that was our heating plant or boiler house. In May 1931, the Vestry gave their blessing to hold a Vacation Bible School. In December 1934, the members of Trinity’s choir appeared for the first time attired in robes, which met with unanimous approval. In 1936, the total operating budget was $22,438, and communing membership was 968.

IMG_1170

Trinity’s boiler house, added in 1928

The year 1940 was marked by the serious illness of Doctor MacIntosh. Vestry granted him a leave of absence to recuperate at his son’s home in Florida. The strength that he gained there proved to be only temporary, although he again took up his pastoral work upon his return. He preached his last sermon on March 24, and on April 16, 1940 he entered the Church Triumphant.

Much of this material was condensed from Part Two of Dr. George L. Heiges books on Holy Trinity.

Lloyd E. Bull, Property Committee Chairperson